Unfortunately it’s still broken. It took 11 hours for someone to look at it, and they failed to resolve the problem (they just rebooted the server). They’re having another look now, so hopefully there will be some progress soon.
I’ve got places to be today, but I’ll be keeping up to date via my N800 (over GPRS, given that I sent my N95 back for replacement yesterday. My sense of timing is terrible).
Once the dust has settled on this, I’m going to be looking into other web hosts, as this is my second major problem within a year that hasn’t been handled very well.
Once again, I apologise for the problems, and fingers crossed, this will soon be just an unpleasant memory.